HOME   ■   ABOUT   ■   SOCIAL MEDIA CONSULTING   ■   CONTACT

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

the beauty of being an introvert


will the real introverts please stand up?

or don't, because that might be a little too much attention for you. i understand.

understanding your own tendencies & personality is an integral part of your 20's. what's more important is coming to peace with who you are, embracing it & using it to your advantage. now y'all, this doesn't mean ignore the parts of you that need improving, or justify bad behavior because that's just "who you are" (how often do you hear people pull this line? can you say ugh?).

i'm an introvert. and i love it. and i'm ok with it. this comic sums it up perfectly.

society tells us introversion is a less-than-desirable trait. outward enthusiasm, being a social butterfly, "putting yourself out there" & being the life of the party is how we're told we're supposed to be. but what if that just can't be everyone? and what if there's nothing wrong with that?

i've always known i was an introvert, but it wasn't until the past year or two that i've accepted & embraced it. part of that process was understanding what introversion and extroversion truly are.

so what's the first thing that comes to mind? introvert = i don't like being social/around people. extrovert = i love those things! sure, on the surface, it may seem that simple. instead, introversion/extroversion is about energy, and where it's drawn from. introverts feel recharged, refreshed and in tune with the world when they're alone. this doesn't mean introverts don't enjoy social situations or thrive in them - they simply need time to themselves to recharge afterwards.

for me, finally "getting" this helped so much. it's helped me pursue my passions, career and friendships to the fullest extent, understanding that with time to think, reflect and analyze, i can jump into any social scene in a breeze. and sure, about 3/4 of the way through a large social situation, i feel like i'm running out of gas. and that's ok.

are you an introvert or an extrovert? or, do you feel like you're an ambivert - a little of both? what role has introversion/extroversion played in your life? and, here's the big one: do you think bloggers have a tendency to be introverted?

6 comments:

  1. It's crazy that I was just thinking about this a few days ago. I feel that I'm a little bit of both. I feel like there are days I want to be to myself and just enjoy the simple things in life, and other days I want to be in the middle of the party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I'm an introvert and struggle with social anxiety (two separate things that tend to feed off one another). I definitely feel that introverts are looked at as "broken" somehow, when indeed we are just how we are and that's ok! I read a lot of blogs where the writers tell a little bit about their introversion. So I would have to say yes, bloggers tend to be introverts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a fellow sufferer of social anxiety, I feel ya. The extroverts of the world are out rock climbing with the president and throwing parties, so I think it takes a certain type of person, an introvert, usually, to sit down and write something like a blog.

      Delete
  3. I am most definitely an introvert. Sometimes I really don't like that about myself, but I really love this post! I just need to embrace it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm a miss of both honestly! There are days when I can keep going and going and going, but then there are those days when I NEED to be alone to just be with my thoughts and recharge.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog! If you have any questions, feel free to email me at hello@meredithnoelle.com.