HOME   ■   ABOUT   ■   SOCIAL MEDIA CONSULTING   ■   CONTACT

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

lemon squares: a springtime dessert


i love baking for the seasons. as soon as springtime hits, i'm thinking of light, fluffy, fruity stuff - though i'll take a cupcake year round. i remember my mother making these lemon squares, and had to ask her for the recipe. i'm not entirely sure where it came from aside from my grandmother - possibly southern living? - but she scanned the little card & sent it to me. cute right?


this recipe is incredibly simple, gooey, buttery, tart and delicious. they're a perfect spring or summertime dessert, and probably would taste even better on a picnic or at an outdoor party. so, just in case you cannot read my mother's handwriting, you'll need:
  • 1 cup softened butter
  • 2 cups unsifted flour
  • 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 & 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/3 cup flour
01. preheat your oven to 350 degrees. combine the first 3 ingredients with an electric mixer. this forms a sort of dough that will be your crust. press the dough into the bottom of a baking pan. (sizes? who needs sizes?)

02. bake the crust for 20 minutes. while it bakes, whip up your lemon mixture.

03. combine eggs, sugar, lemon juice, baking powder and flour with an electric mixer. once your crust has baked, pour mixture on top and bake an additional 25 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. when it's cool, sprinkle confectioner's sugar on top. enjoy!

what are your favorite springtime recipes?

8 comments:

  1. Oh these sound delish and perfect for the season!!! Give me all the lemon things in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lemon squares! And I adore family recipes and that you included the recipe card. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound amazing! I just found your blog through Believe In The Sparks and I can't wait to follow along!
    Libby
    www.healthloveandfire.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! I know my husband would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, do I love me some lemon squares! These sounds amazing. The best part? I think I have all the ingredients - my kitchen may see a little action today. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog! If you have any questions, feel free to email me at hello@meredithnoelle.com.