HOME   ■   ABOUT   ■   SOCIAL MEDIA CONSULTING   ■   CONTACT

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

elsewhere

it's kind of a weird recurring theme on my blog that i want to be somewhere else pretty much at all times. i'm not sure what that says about me, or if it even means anything aside from the fact that i get restless.

i've lived in alabama my entire life (see my post on wanderlust, here). it's always been on the "to do" list to get the hell outta dodge. but oh, how simple it is to put it off, and be comfortable, and accept what is easy. i'm trying not to let myself fall into this trap.

on november 7th, i'm flying to austin, texas to visit my dear cousin. i've never been to austin before, but i have a sneaking suspicion i'll like it. the crazier part of this journey is that i'm not only having a blast, but evaluating if this is, i dunno, somewhere i'd like to move next year when my lease ends. yeah, so it's that, too.

i can't tell you how many times i've driven up to the gates or on red mountain and looked down on birmingham and smiled (cheese alert). i've truly fallen in love with this place and tried to contribute in every way i know how to making it better. am i ready to move on from that journey? i've only been here since july 2013.

so, a year from now, i don't know if i'll be looking back on this post and smiling because i'm sitting in an apartment in texas somewhere, or if i'll still be in birmingham, wondering if i jumped the gun on trying to do that whole moving on thing.

have you ever been to austin? or, maybe a better question would be: have you ever left what was always home? what happened?

3 comments:

  1. Have a safe & wonderful trip! :)

    Amy @ http://nystateofmind5.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I haven't lived in my hometown of St. Louis pretty much since I went to college in 2003. I've live in Chicago and now North Carolina and haven't regretted either move. I've loved living away from home and gaining independence. It also makes family relationships stronger since I can't see them all that often. I will say I might end up heading back that direction sometime soon, because I feel like it's time. I honestly recommend living away even if it's just for a short time! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely empathize with you. I've lived in Alabama my whole life & most of it has been spent within Tuscaloosa County. I almost feel like I've missed out of some sort of social experience of moving to a new place & having to learn how to meet new people, find the closest grocery store, or best dry cleaner... My husband & I like to fantasize & talk about where we'll move when we retire. I have high hopes of getting out of Alabama also! I guess I love it here but it's hard to say when you've lived one place your whole life, right?

    I will say this though- I have friends that have recently moved to Austin & I hear nothing but high praise. It seems to be quite the happening place if you're young & always looking for something to do.

    There's no time like the present!

    Julie
    lifeinthelittleyellowhouse.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog! If you have any questions, feel free to email me at hello@meredithnoelle.com.