HOME   ■   ABOUT   ■   SOCIAL MEDIA CONSULTING   ■   CONTACT

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

mandarin orange chicken : weeknight recipe

my parents purchased easy chinese stir-fries by helen chen & i haven't had a bad recipe from it yet. this is one of my personal favorites as it is very easy to make & healthier than the fried option. this was the 2nd meal i made in my new apartment!
  • 2 teaspoons chinese rice wine or dry sherry
  • 3 teaspoons corstarch
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 3/4 inch cubes
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
  • 4 tablespoons canola oil
  • 4 ounces snow peas, ends & strings removed (omitted because i'm not a fan)
  • 2-4 dried chile peppers, seeds removed (i used chili powder instead. 2 teaspoons equals one chili. you can vary this depending on your tastes)
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed & peeled
  • 2 slices fresh ginger, unpeeled
  • 1 11 ounce can of mandarin oranges, drained
  1. in a bowl, combine the cornstarch & sherry/wine. add chicken & mix well.
  2. in another bowl, combine sugar, vinegar, soy sauce & orange juice concentrate.
  3. if using snow peas : in your wok/skillet, heat 1 tablespooon canola oil on medium heat until the pan is hot. add the snow peas & cook about 30 seconds or until they are dark green. remove from pan.
  4. add the garlic & ginger to the pan, stir.
  5. turn the heat up to high & add the chicken. stir for 1 minute, then add the orange sauce & continue stirring until chicken is done. remove the garlic & ginger, then add the mandarin oranges & stir for another minute.
  6. serve over white rice & enjoy! if using snow peas, add them as well.
in other news, i'm settling into my apartment quite nicely! my parents helped me move in this past weekend & since then i've been organizing & decorating. i'm so in love with my apartment & i'm glad i chose this one! one of my roommates moved in today so i've been helping her get settled. i've got plenty of errands to run tomorrow & i've been spending some time with my girls tubing on the river. hope everyone is having a great week!

4 comments:

  1. yummm! I always say that I'm gonna post more food pictures and recipes, but I always end up eating it before I take a picture of it :)) I'm glad you're having fun in your new apartment. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks beyond scrumptious! Really glad to hear you are settling in and enjoying yourself, Im glad you have picked your life up so well after the hurricane; you're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ simona - i usually have the same problem but i managed to control myself this time, lol.

    @ holly - thank you so much hun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog! If you have any questions, feel free to email me at hello@meredithnoelle.com.